Monday, May 9, 2011

Kim Rosen's Galway Girl

source

Kim Rosen - Galway girl
This illustration for The Pennsylvania Gazette is for a story written by a Penn alum who recounts her summer spent in Galway, Ireland as a waitress. The stresses of school and the unknown future after graduation all vanished when the author Rachel Friedman was waitressing.

Here is an excerpt from the story:
"Yet in Ireland, I had become someone entirely different: a wild girl who stayed out late, guzzled Guinness, told coarse jokes, and said yes to every invitation. I wasn’t going to be that girl forever, I knew, just like I wasn’t going to wait tables forever, but I liked the parts of myself that I discovered in both places. That summer waitressing in Ireland, I existed wholly in the present moment, maybe for the first time in my life. I had no past or future, which suited me perfectly, since, at that particular moment, I did not wish to reckon with either."

You can read the full story HERE